Below is a series on cold water swimming, written based on my experiences over the past year. I’m a novice compared to many more hardened winter swimmers, so read these posts for what they’re worth – learnings, insight, and musings into the adventure of swimming cold.
Covering off the basics:
- It’s a thing. Really.
- Physiological responses to immersion in cold water
- Adaptation to cold: habituation and acclimatization
- Planning and supporting a cold swim
- Scouting ideal cold swim locations
- Packing a cold swim kit
- To neoprene, or not to neoprene
- Best practices for getting into cold water
- Best practices for exit, rewarming and recovery
- Developing a cold threshold scale and index
- Thinking of competing in cold?
- Joie dans le froid (other working title: It’s not as crazy as you may think)
More good reading…
- Primary Organizing Bodies:
- Swimmer Blogs / Club Sites
- Groups on Facebook:
- Other Interesting Stuff: